Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default bearings and keyways and shafts, oh my!

The better competitors to Tractor Supply should have the bearings and
sprockets you need for the 1" to 1-1/2" range of shafts. In the midwest
we have Fleet Farm. If that doesn't work these folks are ok on standard
parts. http://www.surpluscenter.com/powerTr...ame=powerTrans

Surplus center is very good source for surplus/cheap motors. (just
received an order for 44 small DC gear motors, they replaced a previous
DOA motor with no questions asked)

Loose gears are something to avoid. The tolerances on shaft spacing are
way to tight to consider DIY. Go with sprockets and chain or gear case
assemblies.

Best thing is to find suitable motor with integral gear drive.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Pete Keillor wrote:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:26:57 +0000 (UTC), (Edward
A. Falk) wrote:

OK, folks, I'm curious as to where I should shop for such things.
Someone directed me to Hub City, but all I found there were bearings.
I tried Tractor Supply Co., but found even less.

Tell me, where can I go shopping for these basic parts?

What size?

Sufficient to build an electric art vehicle. I'm talking maybe 1-1.5"
shafts, gears, bearings, and electric motors.