Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Pinging Bruce for Clarification

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:12:18 -0500, "Pete C." wrote:
Mastic wrote:

All of the commercial / light industrial places I've been to had 208/120
Y service. Only seen 240 delta in heavy industrial settings. Based on
some 5 yrs of CNC service in the northeast.

I have 440 delta and 240 single phase in my garage, delivered from the
mains.

Lucky you. Not much need for 440 and the more expensive switchgear to go
with it unless you have a really big installation.

Or you have a small shop operation and need to run specialized gear
that only comes 480V 3-Ph. You can do a LOT more from a 480V 200A
service than from a 240V 200A service.

You can boost 240V up to 480V with transformers, but you have to be
careful to not max out the 240V service. The front office gets very
annoyed when you blow the main and black out the whole building.

-- Bruce --