Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel David Martel is offline

Default Exterior "soffit" wood nailed to old "soffit" wood than painted, will it cause problems?

For the effort, if I were you, I'd rip out the old part and install
aluminum soffit panels. It provides venting, last LONG without painting.

That is a great idea, but do I have to do anything to my roof/attic
(crawl space), like add more insulation? There isn't much up there and
I would think it might make things colder in the winter.

If there isn't much insulation up there then adding more may be a good
idea and it will help with noise. But first, go up into the attic and figure
out how it is now vented. If the venting is adequate and working there may
be no reason to use vented soffits. I like the aluminum or vinyl soffit idea
with removal of the old soffit material.

Dave M.