Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] newworldactor@yahoo.com is offline

Default Exterior "soffit" wood nailed to old "soffit" wood than painted, will it cause problems?

I am willing to go one step further if it will help and is safe; I've
worked with a sound barrier called Homasote 404. What I could do is
cut the 404 and install it between the 2 layers of plywood, would that
work? Or would it be better to cut strips of the 404 and stagger it so
air can move between the plywood layers?

Thank you

Hi,
For the effort, if I were you, I'd rip out the old part and install
aluminum soffit panels. It provides venting, last LONG without painting.

That is a great idea, but do I have to do anything to my roof/attic
(crawl space), like add more insulation? There isn't much up there and
I would think it might make things colder in the winter.

But it sounds like a good solution, except it won't help with any
noise insulation, I'll see what Home Depot has this weekend.

Thank you.