Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Garden Tractor Demolition / Cutting up steel - How and how fast can I do it?

On Sep 7, 8:45 pm, djenyc wrote:
* It looks like it will not work very well in vertical mode - i.e.
slitting, cutting thin plates /sheet metal in to long strips - stock
needs to be fed manually, slower then other methods, limited by throat
depth, small vertical table, risk of striping teeth with thin stock
Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Ross

This is the type of shear I meant;
Mine is older and a little different. Unlike any reasonable home
bandsaw it will cut a 4' x 8' sheet in half, neatly and quietly.

Your observations on vertical mode are true but irrelevant. I use it
to notch tubing and angle for welded joints and to cut freehand
curves. First I make relief cuts almost to the line on the waste side,
then I cut straight between them about 2-3 blade thicknesses outside
the line, finally I cut right along the line. If the last cut is
continuous little filing is needed.

Another good use for vertical mode is sawing lengthwise into long
narrow stock, for example when making a lathe boring bar or a custom
wrench.

jw