Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster Jerry Foster is offline

Default Garden Tractor Demolition / Cutting up steel - How and how fast can I do it?

"djenyc" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

Jim, thanks for the info, I'm still on the fence with 4*6 band saw. I
researched it a bit before I got and I saw a lot of good reviewes, but
now I think I've discover some of it's limitations. At this point my
reasoning for returning it is:
* It looks like it will not work very well in vertical mode - i.e.
slitting, cutting thin plates /sheet metal in to long strips - stock
needs to be fed manually, slower then other methods, limited by throat
depth, small vertical table, risk of striping teeth with thin stock

snip

Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Ross

The little HF 4x6 is an extremely useful machine. I've had mine for
years and use the heck out of it. I run 16tpi Sterrett blades in it and
I made a welded base for it to replace the rather flimsy sheet metal
stand that comes with it.

I use it mainly for cutting steel tubing, some of which has walls as
thin as 1/16" and I've had no trouble with it stripping off teeth.

Admittedly, I rarely use it in the vertical mode, but it does do the
job, within its limitations. I recently cut some 1/8 stock into 1" wide
strips. I was surprised by how fast it went. I have used the Sawzall
on similar stuff, but the blade life is extremely short. The 4x6 will
do the job a lot cheaper (if it will fit...).

Just remember that, for 150 bucks, it's a great little machine. Just
don't compare it to a good vertical costing ten times as much (or
maybe a lot more...).

Jerry