Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JohnM JohnM is offline

Default Garden Tractor Demolition / Cutting up steel - How and how fastcan I do it?

djenyc wrote:
I have on old garden tractor that I took appart a couple months ago. I
wonder if there is a way to cut up the deck/frame etc in to 4" strips
for metal fabrication projects. I think it's 12 gauge steel. I have a
jig saw, air body saw, air cut-off saw, HF sawzall / portable bandsaw/
4x6 bandsaw / carbon arc torch / a few metal grinders from 4" to 9"
and a 7 1/4" circular saw with abrasive discs. I've used grinders
before and I think they are awkward, slow and would take forever,
I tried using carbon rod in a welder to melt steel and I though it was
too slow - I have a 140Amp AC/DC welder from Harbor Freight
Would I be ok with a bandsaw or is it too slow for cutting up thin
steel? I haven't used band saw before.
Would circular saw with abrasive disc work ok?

Basically I'm wonder how fast12 gauge metal can be cut (like feet per
minuter or hour) and if it's worthwhile given the cost of consumables.
Any info much appreciated

Thanks

Ross

I think the best economy could be gotten by phoning a couple of local
junkyard and telling them you need some flame table or cnc plasma drops
to practice your welding on. When you find a yard that's liable to have
what you want then take a nice load of whatever you've got on hand to
sell to them. They'll typically sell stuff for anywhere from 4x to 10x
the price they pay for it, and don't feel bad if it's closer to the 10x
figure- they gotta make a buck too, and with the investment it takes to
run a junkyard.. well, a guy buying 50 or 100 lbs. of drops isn't really
a big customer, if they'll deal with you at all then you're ahead of the
game.

As far as the suggestion that you buy a plasma cutter.. if you can
afford it, buy a plasma cutter. If you can't afford it don't get all
discouraged- just do what you can imagine with the tools you have and
put a little money back for the plasma cutter, no big deal. As I always
suggest, quality used tools are generally better than new cheap tools.

You've also got to have an adequate air compressor with a plasma cutter,
don't forget that.. and good tools to go with the compressor (name
brand, no Taiwan stuff), etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

John