Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Need tips on single point threading

On Sep 5, 3:24 pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:06:04 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've been able to disengage the half nuts when the tool reaches a
1/16" cutoff tool groove by attaching a dial indicator to the ways
with the plunger touching the carriage, and watching the needle
approach one of the adjustable marker tabs.

jw

I told my coworker about that one and how I wanted to try it. He pulled a
little aluminum casting with some magnets glued in that his buddy made for
him with a dial indicator mounted. Sweet. I didn't have much time to check
it out but I did make a few air passes at 14 tpi 45 rpm with the indicator
and could pull out / unlock in 0.005" travel worst case.

Now where did I put my neodymium magnets, I want to make one of those for my
self.....

That sounds simple enough Wes, rather than re-inventing the
wheel how about some pictures of it when you get a minute.

It sounds like it would be useful to have around for various
tasks.

--
Leon Fisk

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1642