Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Need tips on single point threading

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:06:04 -0400, Wes wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've been able to disengage the half nuts when the tool reaches a
1/16" cutoff tool groove by attaching a dial indicator to the ways
with the plunger touching the carriage, and watching the needle
approach one of the adjustable marker tabs.

jw

I told my coworker about that one and how I wanted to try it. He pulled a
little aluminum casting with some magnets glued in that his buddy made for
him with a dial indicator mounted. Sweet. I didn't have much time to check
it out but I did make a few air passes at 14 tpi 45 rpm with the indicator
and could pull out / unlock in 0.005" travel worst case.

Now where did I put my neodymium magnets, I want to make one of those for my
self.....

Wes

=======
or click on
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2531
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=891-5401
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...Indicator_Back
http://www.hhip.com/products/product...tID=401-0005-5
http://www.phase2plus.com/details.as...cators&i d=95

for some more ideas see
http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA-8.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/13-Jet-Lathe-Dia...QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/apr02/apr02.html
scroll down about 2/3 and also see cross slide travel indicator.
This is good when you "snap retract" the tool out of the cut and
need to go back to the propper depth for another pass.

You do know about setting the compound for 28/29 degrees and
using this to set the depth so you cut only on the leading edge
of the tool?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.