Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Gordon Dave Gordon is offline

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

"Nova" wrote in message news:URiCi.383$2N2.33@trndny03...
wrote:
The purpose of the sluts and dowels were to equally position and prevent the slats from horizontal
movement. Once the mattress are on them, the slats remain in the original location without any
movement. It is like having screws to lock them in place with the advantage that they are easy to
remove and transport. When you change the bed sheet and cover the slats remain in place.
Conversely, in mass production, you could do away with the dowels and location sluts and save time
and effort. However when the furniture's remains in the family it's a good feeling to leave marks
of good craftsmanship.

"Nova" wrote in message news:WpgCi.1899$NL2.1292@trndny04...

wrote:

The way I have done the slats is with a 3/8" slut X 1 1/2" lg. x 1/4" deep at each end.

What did the 3/8" slut do with the slats? ;-)

Ahem...

slut - n. 1.a. A woman considered sexually promiscuous. b. A prostitute. 2. A slovenly woman; a
slattern. 3. A female dog. [Middle English slutte.] --slut“tish adj. --slut“tish·ly adv. --slut“tish·ness
n.

slot - n. 1. A narrow opening; a groove or slit: a slot for coins in a vending machine; a mail slot.
2. A gap between a main and an auxiliary airfoil to provide space for airflow and facilitate the
smooth passage of air over the wing. 3.a. An assigned place in a sequence or schedule: a new time
slot for a TV program. b. A position of employment in an organization or a hierarchy. 4. Computer
Science. A socket in a microcomputer that will accept a plug-in circuit board: expansion
slots. --slot tr.v. slot·ted, slot·ting, slots. 1. To cut or make a slot or slots in. 2. To put into
or assign to a slot. [Middle English, hollow of the breastbone, from Old French esclot.]

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Thanks Nova, but I think we already knew the difference (not necessarily from personal experience ;-).
We were just enjoying the fun of transposing the words. We didn't mean anything by it, honest.