Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob the Tomato Bob the Tomato is offline

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:33:50 +0100, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:
"dwolf" wrote in ...

"John" wrote in messagenews:elsdd39a4b1ft9dejrm935abe2aa39e72q@4ax .com...
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:41:17 -0400, "dwolf"
wrote:

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

If you use slats, sure to attach them to the side rails - I've been
dumped out of bed in the middle of the night when an unattached slat
slipped from a side rail. The current bed frame is metal with a
support in the middle of it.

And remember that kids play under anything that is high enough to
wiggle under. There was a death in the area this week when a group
of kids was playing and jumping on a bed and it collapsed on the
six-year-old girl who was under it. I don't have details on the bed,
just the family.

John

Apologies if this point has already been made - I've only just seen the latest posting.
Remember to consider how you would dismantle and move the bed if you moved house. Slats fold up to
small space, plywood doesn't.
Agree about securing them though. It makes them less liable to snap too, if the ends are screwed
into
a rail on the sides of the bed. Or, since the slats don't have to be great wood, you could fit
enough
of them so there isn't a space between them, making them less liable to shift. Still easier to move
around than two 6'x3' sheets of plywood.- Hide quoted text -

Given the choice of moving two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood or the
equivalent square footage of slats, all of which are individually
secured to the rails, which do you think would be easier to dismantle,
carry, load, unload, carry again, and reassemble?

As far as taking up space, two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood will fit just
about anywhere in a moving van, pickup truck, mini van, etc.

Yeah but you can unscrew the slats and roll them up together into a bundle, tie them with a rope or
sump'n. 25 * 6' x 3" should do it.
Of course, this assumes the rest of the bed dismantles....

I have built a couple of custom units - queen sized platform bed with
drawer banks underneath, and the X-braces turned so they are at 90
degrees instead of 45 degrees, for more usable space and maximum
drawer storage.

When I move, the thing that I hate is that the mattress is heavy and
floppy and doesn't have any good way to carry it. Plus it gets dirty
and can tear the cover fabric very easily if you don't wrap it in
plastic. I had the idea of a queen platform bed where the platform
becomes a box to hold the mattress during the move. You can take the
thing into the new room on edge, take the mattress out, set the
platform down, then plop the mattress on top of the platform. The
platform would have to be slightly oversized to accomplish this. Not
sure how that would look.

Bob the Tomato