Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Product review: Pen drilling vise

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:25:04 -0400, BillinDetroit
wrote:

It's probably not a good investment for the occasional pen turner.... If you
only drill a few blanks, it's easy enough to drill them on the lathe.. But for
folks that do a lot of pens, it's a great investment, IMHO..

Now you're making me feel really bad for cutting notches in the face of
my wooden-jaw clamps.

Bill

I tried that, Bill... also v-blocks attached to plywood and clamped to the DP
table...
I even drilled some using the DP chuck in the head stock and my Talon chuck with
spigot jaws in the tail stock... Pretty accurate, but a real PITA to insert and
extract the blank, plus cranking the tail stock in and out each time..

I drilled some 1/2" blanks this morning (ok, I'm cheap) and every one was dead
center on both ends... Never had the accurate holding to try that before..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing