Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Edwards: Americans should sacrifice their SUVs

"Modat22" wrote in message
I gave up SUV's a long time ago, I don't find them all the useful
personally. Now pickups on the other hand, I've always owned a PU
truck and probably always will. Can't get around my neck of the woods
without one. I also own a Prius that I strictly use to commute.

Weekly miles driven

prius = 620 miles per week

pickup = average miles 5 miles per week

Prius gas mileage actual average 57 mpg

dodge PU 4x4 1983 = 11 to 14 mpg

My prius is almost paying for itself but so has my truck. Both vehicle
types have their uses.

And if you can afford both, it sounds like sense. A curmudgeon might
question whether the resources consumed -- including the energy involved in
manufacturing the two vehicles -- justifies having one parked in the garage
while the other is driven.

As I was thinking about Gunner in his truck it occurred to me that he may be
doing it the most efficient way possible: he needs the truck, and there's no
separate pile of sheet metal sitting useless in the garage while he drives
it.

--
Ed Huntress