Posted to rec.woodworking
dwolf dwolf is offline

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:
"dwolf" wrote in

"John" wrote in
messagenews:elsdd39a4b1ft9dejrm935abe2aa39e72q@4ax .com...
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:41:17 -0400, "dwolf"
wrote:

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have
always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess
the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and
my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my
beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the
bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

If you use slats, sure to attach them to the side rails - I've been
dumped out of bed in the middle of the night when an unattached slat
slipped from a side rail. The current bed frame is metal with a
support in the middle of it.

And remember that kids play under anything that is high enough to
wiggle under. There was a death in the area this week when a group
of kids was playing and jumping on a bed and it collapsed on the
six-year-old girl who was under it. I don't have details on the bed,
just the family.

John

Apologies if this point has already been made - I've only just seen the
latest posting.
Remember to consider how you would dismantle and move the bed if you
moved house. Slats fold up to a
small space, plywood doesn't.
Agree about securing them though. It makes them less liable to snap too,
if the ends are screwed into
a rail on the sides of the bed. Or, since the slats don't have to be
great wood, you could fit enough
of them so there isn't a space between them, making them less liable to
shift. Still easier to move
around than two 6'x3' sheets of plywood.- Hide quoted text -

Given the choice of moving two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood or the
equivalent square footage of slats, all of which are individually
secured to the rails, which do you think would be easier to dismantle,
carry, load, unload, carry again, and reassemble?

As far as taking up space, two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood will fit just
about anywhere in a moving van, pickup truck, mini van, etc.

My thoughts exactly... I did what I always do.... Three beefy slats 2 x 3
ash
The wood cleats around the perimeter, and a descent maple ply...