Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 29, 12:34 pm, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:25:43 +1000, "Johnno"

jjohnson61atoptusnetdotcomdotau wrote:

Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

Gunner, I have done this using paint stripper, the trick is to tape over
any
gaps and edges, and use the stripper only on the big areas, keep it out
of
the cracks and crevices, and at least half an inch back from any edge.
If
the stripper goes into or around a door edge, it will triple your time
clean it up and fix the paint in there. Use newspaper on the ground
under
the edges of the body, then just roll it up, no mess. Do it in the
shade,
the sun dries the stripper out too fast. Hose off the rest.

Once the paint is gone from the main panels, sand the remaining bits
around
the edges using an orbital or DA sander, it will dissappear in no time.
Run
the sander over the main panels, to give the new paint something to
stick
to, P80 or 100 grit freecut paper. Give the insides a quick rub over
with
fine scotchbrite, clean it off and it's ready for paint.

I had a friend who did this quite often, he could strip the paint off a
car
in a couple of hours in a dinner suit, and not get dirty. OK, the dinner
suit is an exageration, but it was amazing to watch, I just gave you his
method.

regards,
John

Thanks guys! I think Ill use the stripper method, after the sun has
gone down and the thing has cooled. I tried my heated pressure washer
(Hotsie) and it didnt do much good.

Any brand of stripper better than others, available from the big box
stores or paint supply places?

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

Apply the stripper and cover it with anything to slow
evaporation...newspaper, wax paper...even a old sheet....just don't
put it back on your bed...;).

Hot weather causes the stripper to evaporate far too quickly.

I cover methylene chloride stripper, and my homemade lye-based house
stripper, with cheap polyethylene drop cloths -- the 99-cent kind. It works
very well.

--
Ed Huntress