Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] snarl@tripod.net is offline

Default Should I heat treat ?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:40:44 -0500, "Snag"

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:22:01 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Tony wrote:
If these are replacing rubber bushings I don't see the need to heat
treat. However you may want to consider polyurethane bushings as a
replacement, like the off-roaders 4 wheelers use.

These bushing assemblies attach the front of the swingarm (rear
fork , to some) to the pivot shaft . This shaft attaches to the
frame , and also supports the rear of the engine/transmission
assembly . This is an 800 pound touring motorcycle ... and those
composite bushing assemblies are quite a bit more complicated than a
"rubber bushing" .

What you're making is similar to these, no? http://tinyurl.com/2el9xx
Those are delrin with high carbon steel sleeves. I didn't ask if
they're heat treated, but I suspect so.

Actually, I just pinged Kevin there and will letcha know.

Snarl

Actually , the ones I've made are as close to the OEM cleve block
dimensions as I can get (a kind soul sent me some cad files ...wanna copy ?)

Yes please... that from D-rog? Addy is: BS 37 at snarls hog den dot
com. Remove th' spaces and change th' obvious.

. All the other small parts will still be used , including the compliance
ring on the outside of the unit .
I looked at the sta-bo and another , couldn't see from the pics where they
allow rotation between the swingarm and the pivot bolt . The inner sleeve on
these will be held captive between the tranny case and the outer rubber
mounts , just as original . The outer shell will rotate with the swing arm .
I haven't decided yet how I'm going to establish end play , I can either
press precisely , or set tthe outer to a preset depth and shim the thrust
faces .
I got all the stuff together to heat these , and still can't decide if
they really need it .

Kevin got back to me and said they are heat treated. FWIW, I also
asked him about longevity (100,000 miles) and he sent me this:

"Yes - the high carbon steel is heat treated.
Yes - STA-BO I will last well over that mileage. The first
STA-BO I we ever installed was on a 1986 FXRS with a
103 CID engine and currently has 300,000 miles on it
and still going."

When I had that last belt replacement done, I asked 'em to check th'
swing arm bushings whilest they're in there, and they said they were
fine. Methinks th' cocksucker never even checked 'em since there's
140,000+ miles on 'em. So for this winter I'm gonna make a set Sta-bo
style and we'll see if that helps... unless I go th' way you are.

I'll tell ya this much, as far as customer service goes, sta-bo
answers questions post haste. You might wanna ping 'em about rotation