Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Bending 20mm Round Electrical Conduit

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen installations where this type of conduit has been bent at 90
degree's and at various angles.

My question is how is this done ? Do you have to gently warm the
conduit to do this ? Must the conduit be supported on the inside so
that it doesn't collapse ?

Thick wall PVC conduit can be bent using a hot air gun. Don't get it too
close, particularly with white, which can discolour. Play the gun along the
whole length of the bit you want to bend, turning the conduit to get the
heat even. When it starts to droop, it can be curved to shape and left to
cool on a hard surface. You may need to press gently on the sides to get it
round. If it kinks, you are trying to get too small a radius and should use
a solvent weld inspection bend or elbow instead. I've used this for many
difficult locations, including a double curve bringing a pair of conduits
down one face of a 4" square post and turning them so that one feeds a
socket on each of the two adjacent faces.

Colin Bignell