Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

On Aug 29, 9:41 pm, "dwolf" wrote:
Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

I built 2 sets of twin-sized bunks (oak for the boys, painted poplar
for the girls) using rails and 3/4" A/C plywood, no slats. The upper
bunks are actually 1" A/Luan plywood, so the kid on the bottom didn't
have to stare up at a C-grade surface for his entire childhood.

BTW - The boys split their bunks into two singles when the oldest
moved out a few months ago and took his half with him. That was the
plan 18 years ago when I built 'em and it finally came to fruition.

My wife and I sleep in a queen sized platform bed - again using 3/4" A/
C, no rails, no slats. It was built like a waterbed I once saw. Under
the plywood are 2 large X's of 3/4 x 12 pine boards. The base is a
rectangle made of 2 x 12's. The platform overhangs the base ~5" on all
sides.

Without getting too graphic here, I will say that the platform bed has
held up well for over 25 years and is partially responsible for the
need for the 2 bunk beds.