Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rustyjames rustyjames is offline

Default Best way to strip flaking paint on a trailer body and sheetmetal

On Aug 29, 7:25 am, "Johnno" jjohnson61atoptusnetdotcomdotau wrote:
Suggestions are gladly considered

Gunner

Gunner, I have done this using paint stripper, the trick is to tape over any
gaps and edges, and use the stripper only on the big areas, keep it out of
the cracks and crevices, and at least half an inch back from any edge. If
the stripper goes into or around a door edge, it will triple your time to
clean it up and fix the paint in there. Use newspaper on the ground under
the edges of the body, then just roll it up, no mess. Do it in the shade,
the sun dries the stripper out too fast. Hose off the rest.

Once the paint is gone from the main panels, sand the remaining bits around
the edges using an orbital or DA sander, it will dissappear in no time. Run
the sander over the main panels, to give the new paint something to stick
to, P80 or 100 grit freecut paper. Give the insides a quick rub over with
fine scotchbrite, clean it off and it's ready for paint.

I had a friend who did this quite often, he could strip the paint off a car
in a couple of hours in a dinner suit, and not get dirty. OK, the dinner
suit is an exageration, but it was amazing to watch, I just gave you his
method.

regards,
John

That's the way I've done it using stripper. More than likely the body
is galvanized and the correct primer wasn't used if it's flaking
badly. I've even stripped entire bodies just with a single edge razor
blade/holder without stripper because the primer adhesion was so poor.