Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default Should I heat treat ?

Tony wrote:
How hard are the factory bushings?

"Snag" wrote in message
.. .
I have machined some replacement bushings for a motorcycle swing
arm .

The factory bushings are a rubber/silicone/steel unit , designed to absorb
vibration at the expense of handling . The early rubbermount Harley touring
models have a history of high speed handling problems , partly due to the
OEM swingarm pivot bushings . Aftermarket suppliers make something similar
to what I'm doing , but they're real spendy . I could have spent nearly a
thousand bucks on the mods I'm doing if I used their parts , materials have
cost me less than a c-note ...
I'm not in a great big hurry to finish these , won't be installing them
until this winter when I tear the bike down for other items that also need
attention .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"