Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill press holding fixture

On Aug 22, 3:33 pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I gave blood this morning. All over my radial arm drill that I got a couple
months ago. The part snatched as the drill broke though. it rode up the
drill and then popped the vice grip holding clamp off and threw it. Then the
work made made a quick revolution before i could get out of the way.

I need to get a better way to hold work in the drill press. A couple vice
grips and pieces of tubing just aren't getting it. I've tried using a spare
Kurt type vise, but that is cumbersome. half the parts won't fit in and its
difficult to quickly line the work up under the drill and through an open
spot in the vise.

what's normally used to hold all sorts of odd ball one of parts in a large
drill? Just fabrication grade work here. I use a mill and bolt the part to
it for stuff needing accuracy.

Karl

Sorry to hear of the involuntary donation....didn't even get a chance
to have a pretty nurse to flirt with.

The recommendations for the vise on a plate and a Welch Cam-Lock Drill
Press Clamp should fit the bill.

A drill press is a deceptively dangerous machine...I have known
several people doing do-it-yourself amputations by getting in a hurry.

TMT