Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default drill press holding fixture

According to William Noble :
yes, that is the one (note, I'm top posting to annoy the heck out of those
bothered by such violations of non-existant rules)

Most of the time the little attachment block, shown on the far right of the
vise in the image, is lost. You are supposed to affixt that attachment
block into a T slot, the round part of the vise slides in the block (unless
you clamp it down), so the whole assembly is easy to move in translation but
impossible to rotate, just what you want. You don't need the handle to hit
the column, just make the missing little block

The one which I have has that block designed to clamp to the
edge of the table, instead of to a T-slot. Since my drill press (A
Taiwan made one from about 1977 or so) has a round table which is too
small for that, I have been keeping the Float-vise around waiting for a
larger drill press with which to use it.

However, I think that I will now make a collar to slide on the
column just above the table and to secure the sliding block fit for the
arm. That should allow me to use it with the current drill press, and
to swing it aside when it is not appropriate.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564