Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Hydraulic cylinder/valve problem, help please.

On Aug 25, 11:30 am, HC wrote:
... I think that two stage
pump is okay for a log splitter where there is no way a log is going
to be able to resist any where near 2,250 PSI on a 4 inch bore
cylinder and therefore won't ever really load the engine down, but is
a poor choice for where full power operation may be necessary.

Glad to hear this is working for you. Some of the red oak I burn will
definitely resist my 3-1/2" splitter at 2500PSI and needs to be cut
with a chainsaw.

The two-stage bypass in my hydraulic pump is a spring-loaded ball
valve that opens at about 600PSI. The pump wasn't too bad to open up
and work on when I replaced a bearing. I suggest having someone else
with clean hands photograph it during disassembly so you can
reassemble the pieces in the correct order.

I recently watched Jewel on Soundstage and was very impressed. Looking
her up lead to Ty Murray and his ranch in Stephenville and how much he
likes that part of north central Texas. Are you anywhere nearby?

jw