Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default What to use to cover nail heads and fill holes?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:31:03 -0700, "Roger Taylor"
sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet wrote:

:"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Just replaced some exterior soffit and fascia. What's best for
: covering nail heads and filling the holes before painting? Thanks.
:
:If you've used galv. nails and hammered them flush, you don't need any
:filler - just paint with universal primer, then exterior acrylic. The heads
:will barely show.
:If used common nails or uncoated nails, practically any filler will
:eventually pop out or dislodge, once the metal begins rusting and
:expanding, making a worse outcome than skipping the filler altogether.
:I also find it handy, if later repairs are needed, to *not* have filled
:countersunk nails, so one can see the attachment points, and use pry bar at
:correct point, with less damage to wood.
:Roger

That's interesting. I just purchased a box of very small nails to attach
thin trim strips to my garage door, whose plywood I'm replacing. The
nails are 1/2" brads, ungalvanized (I didn't see any galvanized,
although I could have bought brass for a lot more money). I figured I'd
use Plastic Wood to fill the holes before prime/paint. Maybe I'll leave
the countersunk heads instead.

I was going to use Fixall for imperfections until I read the label and
it said that paint would eventually fall off the stuff when it had
absorbed moisture.

Dan