Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Bridgeport milling machines.

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

While I am sure you didn't intend it, this is a first-class
troll, as this is a sore spot in the US that is rapidly getting
bigger [and sorer].

No, it wasnt a troll - was genuinely curious, so thank you for the
references. And it is a very nice machine to use, quiet, precise - a
few weird features, ie the "twist the handle to engage the X feed" was

Twist the handle makes sense with power feed as otherwise under power
the handle is driven and can trap your hand against the power feed body.
I suspect this happened a few times before health and safety
considerations demanded a safer handle. I fitted one when I added a
power feed, my neighbour found it weird also as it seemed like the
handle didn' work at first.

a good one. And putting a lock pin on the shaft brake seems a bit
potentially disastrous. Oh, and the High/Low switch which is really
the on/off switch and runs it in reverse in the low position....had a
tutorial on it before operating which is SOP in the class room - the
last irritation is due to the shape of the head, its a tad difficult
to securely clamp on a magnetic base for a dial indicator when setting
up the machine vise....but thats all part of metalworking, it needs to
be done so it is. A light bulb moment for me was when I realised that
90% of machining is setting up...oh, and the high/low gear change
lever is a finger biter, but got used to it real quick.

Never been bitten by my bridgeport high/low change.

Only mistake I made so far was not realizing the R8 collet holder had
a locating groove in it - I backed off the top nut, wacked it with a
soft face hammer to spring it, could not feel any rotary movement in
the holder (my X2 Chinese mill is a plain MT3) so, thinking it was
still locked in, I undid it two more turns and wacked it again. A
passing instructor used somewhat colourful language in the process of
informing me of my error....

I would love to own one, but I dont have the money, or the room, to
set it up if I did.

Learnt face milling on a large horizontal mill, learning vertical
milling on this one - at present, doing "pocket milling" for a G-clamp
to go with the V block I made on the horizontal mill. When their both
finished, get to learn to drive the surface grinder to get a nice
finish and to bring it in to some mind bogglingly tight tolerance...

And as for offshore manufacturing - its a feature of the "world
economy, free trade" etc etc - all the lovely Newspeak jargon. I don't
remember being asked if I wanted it, but I must have been - our
politicians keep on saying they have a "mandate" to do it...(Left,
Right, both dance to the same tune. No difference - )

I own one of those offshore Bridgeports, an Adcock and Shipley, made in
the UK. I suspect it was just easier/cheaper to make on this side of the
pond for the UK and European markets rather than ship them across the
Atlantic. I live in the UK so I suspect most I come across are made here
or were.

Andrew VK3BFA.