Grant Erwin

Default soldering to brass

I want to make a flat piece of brass with a ring soldered to it so it
can fit onto a keyring. I am lousy at soldering. Can anyone tell me exactly
what kind of solder to use, flux, and what to look out for? I'm looking for
a clean joint that isn't obtrusive looking, so bright silver solder is out.
I have considered machining a ring integral with the part but that means
the ring would be brass like the flat piece and it seems to me that brass
wouldn't hold up too well on a keyring. The flat piece will be approximately
1.75" roundish, not too heavy, and about 0.100" thick, old propeller shafting
from a sailboat. Might be phosphor bronze or manganese bronze and not brass,
I'm not sure.

Grant Erwin