Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Bridgeport milling machines.

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:55:04 -0700, Andrew VK3BFA
wrote:

Used a Bridgeport vetical mill for the first time in my metalworking
efforts at trade school. Brand new, very nice...cost $45K in Oz.
DRO's to 5 microns....

Query - there were a few in the room, old one labeled "Adcock and
Shipley" made in England. The new one had a big American flag sticker
on it, nearly obscured the sticker on the motor that said "Made in
Mexico"...couldn't see any stickers to say where the rest of it was
made.

Where? - out of idles curiosity, is it made? - I know from reading
here they have iconic status to this group...

Andrew VK3BFA.

==========
While I am sure you didn't intend it, this is a first-class
troll, as this is a sore spot in the US that is rapidly getting
bigger [and sorer].

The basic problem is that there are fewer and fewer actually
American companies, and with the world-wide race to the bottom,
the components and generic/component parts are now sourced
anywhere and everywhere, and the American public has again been
"sold out" by their government in enforcement of national origin
labeling.

Mazak "screwed" the US Military on exactly this point, when they
sold several large/special CNC machines as being made in the USA
for [big] additional dollars under "Buy American" provisions of
the National Defense Procurement laws. This scam was blown when
an hourly employee noticed management personnel working on a
machine, changing the name plates and dropped the dime. AFAIK no
one went to jail, and I am not sure that Mazak had to give all
the "Buy America" money back, let alone pay any fines.

At one time [during and shortly after WWII] Bridgeport produced
one of the finest turret milling machines in the world, with many
attachments. Many tools and die shops were started with only a
Bridgeport and Clausing [type] lathe.

see
http://www.answers.com/topic/bridgep...nc?cat=biz-fin

The Bridgeport patents began to expire, the company was sold
1968 to Textron.

Value analysis, excessively long lead times for new machine
deliver (c. 24 months) and failure to reinvest in new product
features and general arrogance, doomed the company when Asian and
European models that were almost a good with immediate delivery
began to flood the market. (Sounds a lot like Detroit.)

More value analysis and out-sourcing quickly followed to maintain
profit margins, and the foreign competition rapidly improved
their products. (Again a lot like Detroit)

Today, it is impossible to tell where the machines and components
are manufactured, and IMNSHO, a better turret mill can be
purchased from one of the lower cost producers, without paying
for a faux "Made In America" product, with the profits going to
an offshore tax haven..

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.