Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Roger is offline

Default weak radial arm saw

On Aug 21, 10:25 am, Tommy T wrote:
I have had a Craftsman 10-inch electronic radial arm saw (113.198211)
for about 20 years. For years it has not made a clean cut. The cut is
warped. Lately it can barely make it through anything thicker than
3/4" pine. This morning it stopped dead trying to cut a 2x4. I've
adjusted the blade many times to make it square in every direction. I
don't believe it's the blade because, although it has been several
years since I replaced the blade the newer blade that i bought at that
time didn't improve the cut at all. Besides, I have a comparably old
(and comparably used) 8-inch table saw and it cuts the same piece of
wood with ease, cross cut or rip.

Does anyone have a suggestion before I begin the costly, inconvenient,
and most like unsatisfactory experience of taking it to a sears repair
store?

If your blade is sharp and the alienment is good, that eliminates
almost 60% of the problems.
Before sending it out for repair, remove the moter housing from the
saw and give it a good cleaning an dlube job. Even though that series
of saws had shelf lubed bearings, overtime thay do become gummed up
with dust and grime. Also check your bearings for wear and tear along
with the moter brushes. A quick check is to grab the spindle and see
if you can move it in the bearing housing.
The newer Craftsman saws are garbage, and I know this since I
worked on repairing them for 5 years. Before I would ship this to a
repair center, once I found the causes, I would order the replacement
parts and do the repairs myself. The cost of parts plus bench fees and
taxs are worth as much has a new saw. Why do that when doing it
yourself maybe only around $50.