Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas G. Marshall Thomas G. Marshall is offline

Default How to attach a table top without screws showing...

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in

Puckdropper said something like:

...[rip]...

Personally, I think I'd attach 1x2s to the top and the top to the
1x2. This way, you've only got 1 1/2" of material to screw through,
and support along the entire top. (Some glue, and a couple brads,
and you've got an obligatory Norm reference. :-)) The 1x2's broad
side goes against the frame, and the narrow side against the top.

Puckdropper

I'd still be stuck with a problem though.....Wouldn't the top still be
wobbly/rickety with the only anchors so far inward?

Maybe, maybe not. The boards still sit on the frame, but they're
attached to the frame with the 1x2s.

Since you've got so much over hang from your boards, I'd consider running
a "trim" piece on the outside that's actually your anchors. If someone
sees it, it should still look nice. (Remember, though, it's your
project. I'm just making suggestions.)

And I welcome them. The wobbly worries come from the idea of folks trying
to lift the thing up from the lip and not the apron. Most folks don't know
how to treat a table. The leverage against any inside-only anchors would be
severe. I'm wondering if my only solution might be Z clips after all except
that the top wouldn't sit *visually* tightly on the assembly.

I'm loath to actually put outside trim pieces on the thing because of all
the effort I went through to hide each and every other screw in the thing.

Perhaps a combination of outdoor epoxy and inside screws. But I've seen
what happens when wood dries, and the cross-grain shrinkage would shatter
any epoxy, no?