Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default How to attach a table top without screws showing...

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in

Puckdropper said something like:

...[rip]...

Personally, I think I'd attach 1x2s to the top and the top to the
1x2. This way, you've only got 1 1/2" of material to screw through,
and support along the entire top. (Some glue, and a couple brads,
and you've got an obligatory Norm reference. :-)) The 1x2's broad
side goes against the frame, and the narrow side against the top.

Puckdropper

I'd still be stuck with a problem though.....Wouldn't the top still be
wobbly/rickety with the only anchors so far inward?

Maybe, maybe not. The boards still sit on the frame, but they're
attached to the frame with the 1x2s.

Since you've got so much over hang from your boards, I'd consider running
a "trim" piece on the outside that's actually your anchors. If someone
sees it, it should still look nice. (Remember, though, it's your
project. I'm just making suggestions.)

Puckdropper