Machineman

Default Adjustable Shop/Die Table

take a look at these for some ideas
http://www2.northerntool.com/category/1541/
We had a couple of lift tables for vises etc before we got some overhead
cranes installed, I think they just sit in the corner now and just get
used as a table :-) Ours were a straight hydralic lift, not the
scissors type.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am currently designing an adjustable shop/die table for use around
the mill and lathe area of the shop.

It will be used to move chucks, vises, rotary tables and such to and
from the machines. It also may be drafted for service when I wish to
move other heavier items around like my surface plate when the need
arises.

One of the questions I have is "How big should I make the table
surface?"

The bigger the table the more awkward it is to use in a crowded shop
environment but the larger table surface, the larger the item it could
move. Any suggestions for a convenient size? I am thinking a good
guess for a table size would be one sized for tooling and accessories
common to a Bridgeport mill and a 12"-14" engine lathe. If so, then
what would this be?

I am also designing in a detachable boom so the table can be used as a
small crane to reach items higher than its table top can reach. It
will be designed so it stores under the mill or lathe when it is
lowered to its lowest height. It will have stops on the casters so the
table doesn't decide to move on its own at an inconvenient moment. I
could also see where a table top that could rotate would be useful.

Any suggestions anyone can offer in on the subject of adjustable shop
furniture would be appreciated since the next project is a adjustable
height welding table.

TIA

TMT