Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Electric Motor Problem on a Cement Mixer

"zen83237" wrote in message
I loned my mixer that had not been used for a few years to a friend

but it
only ran for a few seconds then cut out. It would restart but cut

out again
so my guess is temperature related but I am hopeless at electric

motors. The
mixer has been left in the open.
I have just retreived it with the intention of dumping it but

thought I
might as well check it out. The motor is very simple but looks in

good
condition. It has a solenoid type switch that cuts out. Now the

question is
does it cut out because it is faulty or cut out because something

else is
and it cuts out because their is no power. Is the capacitor likely

to be the
fault? I assume that I can bypass the switch to rule that in or out.
Is this worth the effort or just dump it?

Kevin

The motor on my Belle mixer did this when I dug it out from storage a
few weeks back - turned out to be the internal centrifugal switch that
had jammed. All ok when freed. This is the switch that switches from
the start winding to the run winding, and is mounted on the stator,
but operated by weights / springs fixed to the rear of the rotor.

AWEM