Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dieseldes Dieseldes is offline

Default Fitting an immersion heater

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:35:44 -0700, cynic
mused:

On 6 Aug, 14:03, "Dieseldes" wrote:
Due to the fact we ran out of Oil yesterday (should have checked!!) and
it
will be a couple of days to get a supply, one disadvantage to a
Stanley, no
heating hot water or cooking! carry-out and microwave it is then..... ,

I decided to use this opportunity to fit an immersion heater to the hot
water tank, now remove the blanking plug that was fitted by a 20st
gorilla
in the factory, well after a spanner, hammer and a few curses, the tank
appears to start distorting if I put pressure on it? I have come to the
conclusion it is not going to come out without a fight! (1)

Anyone have any ideas how to get it out, preferably without replacing
the
tank as well? (2)

Des

(1) after the incident last year when I fitted a shower pump, and it
turned
out the cold water galvanised tank was more like a colander when the mud
was
disturbed thankyou insurance .

(2) Then the original hot water tank which had the immersian heater in
it
sprung a leak

ahh the pleasures of maintaining an old cottrage

The threads are probably stuck with the old plumbers favourite "boss-
white". An immersion ring spanner with a short handle and a 1.5lb
hammer to apply impacts to the end of it while the cylinder is full
and under pressure is the way to do it. You may have already creased
the shell so its probably buggered now. You ought to have looked
through the old threads in here - its been covered many times before.

You won't get an immmersion spanner on an immersion blanking plug.

found out that one!