Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default Statistics for week ending 20070806

Wes wrote:

I was going to disagree with #3 until I read the thread. Â*Bad drift.

It never was intended to be kinda metal-working related.

I hope I didn't hurt my rep asking about how to set a compound

No, not at all! The difference is, that you are asking questions, learn and
are making progress. Completely different game. And I also learned
something from that. That's how it should be at RCM.

That last suggestion was how to setup offset centers wasn't it? Â*Since I
don't have a taper attachment on the lathe I am repairing, I will likely
have to resort to shifting the tailstock or making an adaptor to offset
centers to turn longer than compound length items.

You wanted to offset the centers? If you have a boring head that fits into
your tailstock, you can play nice tricks with that.

The sine bar between centers has the same problem with being off center
line as using a master part and indicating. Â*If the sine bar between
centers isn't perpendicular to the ways, the same sort of error is
introduced.

You should check with a zero degree setting (and align the tailstock) before
setting the desired angle. Or adjust the tailstock with one of the many
ways. But be aware, depending how bad or good the tailstock is aligned from
the factory, extending or retracting the quill will introduce a new error.
So when you align it, remember how far the tailstock's quill stuck out!

Nick