Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Bison 5C collet chuck vs. Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck vs. drawtube/ collet closer

Part volume is low, mebbee 5-10 month
Quick vs. foolproof? I want my dad to be able to put it together, run
some SIMPLE indicator checks, and start machining. If it's TOO complex,
it will be worthless unless I'm there.

The H&H won't pass stock through it. I saw a ER collet nose that is
spindle or adapter mounted. Who makes it? Lathemaster?

The 5C collet vise might be easy and frugal. The H&H one with the
screwed on compression nut on the end of it looks simple. Maybe using a
pin spanner to work the nut... But how would the nut style block cope
with turning at three hundred RPM?

Tumble block? No. Too finicky to set up.

F. George McDuffee wrote:
I've been scheming how to put a real collet on my dad's red lathe
(PRC). It has a 1" bore and an MT4 spindle. Three options seem to exist:

Bison 5C collet chuck
Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck
Drawtube

For example, how will you be using the collet?
Will you need to be able to chuck long rods, i.e. through the
spindle?
How frequently will you use this set up?
How much piecepart volume do you expect to run?
How important is quick set-up?