Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimp-and-tape vs. wirenuts -- for hots?

"CJT" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

On 07/21/07 08:39 am JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

One more time: The tape is sloppy, and if the crimp is done right, there
is absolutely no need for it.

These are the plain copper cylinders (more or less) that are crimped onto
the wires. As supplied, they have no insulation, so obviously if they are
used on hots or neutrals they need to be insulated afterwards. What would
you use other than tape -- or shrinkwrap, I guess?

Perce

Since the wrong kind of crimps were used,

On what is that conclusion based?

Bare copper cylinders need to be insulated after they're installed, right?
One method would involve tape, which is sloppy and amateurish, and I don't
care whose grandpappy did it and got away with it. The other method
involves heat shrink tubing, which is miraculous stuff, but to use it
**correctly**, you should apply heat to all sides of the tubing. Not so easy
with short wires in a box.