Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Engineered vs. Plywood for Kichen cabinets

"Pat" wrote in message

"Yamuk" wrote in message
news
In regard to kitchen cabinets, what are feelings in terms of
engineered wood vs. plywood for the end panels, floors/tops, wall
backs, base backs, and shelves?

The proposed cabinets would be getting use only by 2 retired baby
boomers.

I am getting old. When I build a cupboard now I like to use plywood
because it is light.

Whoever owns the place 20 years from now will be happier with
furniture-grade plywood. By engineered wood, do you mean the hi-density
stuff with real veneer faces (like Norm uses on his show for selected
applications, and stereo geeks used to make speaker cabinets from?), or what
the big-box sales guy calls engineered wood, which is just chipboard with a
faux woodgrain plastic applied to it?
(IMHO, fake woodgrain should be a felony. If you can't afford wood, that is
what Formica is for.)

If it has real veneer, it might be acceptable for end panels and backs. I
wouldn't use it for any horizontal applications, or doors. Just too water
and impact sensitive. (Sags, screws pull out, warps, etc.) Leastways that
has been my experience over several cheap rental kitchens, and lotsa
installation callbacks in an earlier life. I'm currently trying to undo what
previous owner did to the fine 1960 solid wood cabinets in this place
(horrible faux finish paint job, butchered over-stove micro installation.) I
sure can't afford what similar quality replacements would cost today- I'd be
looking in the chipboard aisle.

aem sends...