Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Crimp-and-tape vs. wirenuts -- for hots?

on 7/20/2007 2:47 PM Percival P. Cassidy said the following:
I am redoing some wiring in our house that involves breaking and
remaking some original connections -- ripping out and replacing boxes
by larger (e.g., two-gang by three-gang). I find that in some cases
all the conductors of the same color have been connected using crimps
that have then been taped over -- even the hots. Is this kosher?
Surely wirenuts provide better insulation than the tape. There could
be 220/240 volts between conductors in some boxes because there are
Edison circuits involved.

Should I use wirenuts for the reconnections? Crimps and tape take up
less room.

And, while I think of it, is it OK to have circuits fed from different
breakers in the same box (e.g., outlet and light switch)? One could
assume that since the one circuit is dead (switched off at the panel),
the other is too.

Perce

I would avoid crimps for just one reason.
What if you had to replace an outlet, light fixture, or switch that went
bad, or wanted to upgrade to the latest and greatest fixtures or
switches? Would you rather just unscrew a wirenut, or try to get the
crimp off with a pair of pliers?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY