Wayne Cook

Default Carolina Bandsaw (HD10?) measurment needed

On 7 Apr 2004 07:12:16 -0700, (Harry
McDaniel) wrote:

I bought a Carolina Bandsaw (I think it is the HD10, but there is no
label) a month ago and I have been trying to get it set up properly (a
bigger job than I anticipated!) and I have come to the conclusion that
one of the support arms, which is clearly non-original on my saw, may
be the wrong size. The saw frame does not sit at a true 45 degree
angle to the table (looking from the end) and it appears that it would
complete the cut better if the high side of the frame were up a little
higher. I would like to confirm the measurment by checking another
saw of the same model,

My saw agrees with the other poster at 10 5/16" center to center. I
measure about 43deg angle with the table on the square tube at the top
of the saw.

However your saw may be suffering from what mine was based on what I
see in the photo. My saw had the pivot bushings in the base wrong. It
would track pretty far off from 90deg to the table. The way to check
this is put a framing square on the table (use whatever surface you
plan on using for getting the stock flat on for a reference since
these saws don't have a perfectly flat table). Push it against the
blade and then hold it there. Then raise the saw and see if it either
binds or moves away from the blade. If it moved away that will be the
amount of angle on the cuts made with the saw. If it binds then reset
the square against the blade with it up (you'll only be able to go
about half way up doing this). Then lower the blade and see how much
it's off. If it was like mine you have close to 1/4-3/8" out in 10-12"
of travel.

The cure for this is to take the arm you're talking about off and
then cut the bushing loose from the base. Then notch the hole in the
direction you need to go and tack it in place. Check for square travel
and adjust as needed. Once set you weld the bushing back.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook