Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Help diagnose Motion Detector light problem

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
It sounds like the switch toggled between a photocell controlling
the lights or the motion detector controlling the lights. Whatever
device was controlling the lights when they stayed in the on
position went bad. The black wire of a motion detector is not a
ground, it gets connected to the feed hot wire, so you clearly wired
it incorrectly. At this point you should probably call back the
electrician to diagnose and repair the problem

Guys,

I shut the circuit breaker off for 30 minutes. When I turned it on,
the motion sensor light stayed on. As you said, there is something
wrong.

I was hoping that a forum member could tell me the correct wiring of
what color wires goes where
to get the motion detector to behave the way it was working as. Also,
to tell me, where to look for the problem.

Here is the summary, of how the motion detector used to work and the
way, I want it to work...

1) When the wall switch is in the down position, the lights are
triggered when motion occurs and shuts off a few minutes later.

2) When the wall switch is in the up position, the lights stay on all
the time at night.

********* begin *******

Can someone explain how a wall switch affects how a motion sensor is
working to produce the above way, I want it wired and the way it used
to work?

********* end *********

First is that wall switch a single through single pole, in other words
is it a simple on off switch or something else and if else what else?

So based on this, how do you think the wires should be "wired" and
also where do you think the problem is occurring.

I am trying not to use an electrician, if I just knew what to change
or replace. Since I already swapped out the old motion detector for
the new one, I know that the problem is not a faulty motion detector.
The problem is something else.

So you mentioned that the black from the motion detector is not a
ground. If I put this on to the other black wires, should this fix
the problem of that the lights always stay on and the motion is being
bypassed?

Not all motion detectors are created equal. The work in different ways
and I suspect yours is not a simple motion detector and it has a computer
controlled system to change modes based on the switch, motion, and or light
detection.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

--
Joseph Meehan