Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Help diagnose Motion Detector light problem

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
I have a motion detector light outside of my garage that was
previously installed by my electrician. Here is the way it worked. I
had a wall switch connected inside the garage. When the wall switch
was in the down position (off), the motion detector would go on at
night, when movement occurred outside and then it would turn off
after a few minutes.

However, if the wall switch was up (in the on position), then the
light on the motion detector would stay on all night and go off in
the morning.

Recently, the light on the motion detector would stay on all night
and stay on all also during the day and never go off.

So I bought a new motion detector and replaced the existing one.

However, when I bought the new motion detector, the same problem
occurs. The light stays on during the day, so that means there was
probably nothing wrong with the physical motion detector, and I
thought possiblye there is a problem with the wall switch or some
wiring.

When I swapped out the new motion detector I notice that there were 3
wires on the motion detector (white, red and black). I notice that
the wires coming out of the garage outside where the motion detector
was placed has wires (white, black and red).

I was told from home depot, that the black on the motion detector is
my ground. So I grounded that wire. I then connected the 2 whites
together and connected the motion detector white and red to the wall
white and red and also connected the black wall wire to the red
wires.

Why did you need instructions from HD? Where there no instructions with
the detector?

So where do you think the problem is occurring and how do I fix this?

If it's the wall switch, what do I do. Do you I just by a new one?

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

--
Joseph Meehan