Stan Schaefer

Default Propane Torch problems - Bernzomatic etc

Richard Ferguson wrote in message ...
I have been trying to use my Bernzomatic type propane torch for some
soldering, and it has been so frustrating that I have been grabbing my
Oxy-acetylene torch instead. The propane torch keeps going out,
especially when I invert the torch to solder something below the torch.

Is it typical to have problems if the bottle is above the torch?

Do I need a better torch? I am not sure about the brand of what I am
using, can't find a name, maybe a bad sign.

Would I be happier with a torch with a long hose connected to a large
bottle of propane? I have such a bottle in my shop, I have seen this
type of torch used by plumbers and others.

I am soldering sheet copper, around 0.020 inch to 0.040 (0.5mm to 1 mm)
thick, if that makes any difference. I do occasionally solder copper
pipes as well.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

This sounds like one of the first propane torch designs from the '50s
like the original Turner or Bernzomatics that had a large sleeve on
the head and multiple orfices inside. Designs have changed a lot
since then. All of the ones with disposable bottles screwed into the
heads will flare up if they're turned upside down, liquid propane gets
spewed out and has to vaporize before it burns.

For soldering sheet copper seams, nothing is as good as a large
soldering iron. I'm talking the large, several-pound, plumber's
soldering copper here. You can use a propane torch to heat it up.
Once it's cleaned, up to temp and tinned, you can do a lot of work
before it cools down. Trying to use a flame for soldering seams can
be really frustrating, you're oxidizing your joint surfaces at the
same time you're trying to join them.

There's some newer design torch heads out there that really put out
the heat, one of those is worth several of the older design. The one
I have is a Bernzomatic head with a built-in ignitor, the burner head
is integral with the bent supply tube, flame diameter is about half
the size of those old heads and it is really hot. Works very well on
plumbing joints as-is. If you have to use the head inverted, you're
going to need one of those extension tube kits, they just don't work
well upside down with the tank attached.

Stan