Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Fridge keeps tripping my GFCI plug

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am pretty sure the GFCI plugs instructions say not to use them on
refrigerators.

Most don't.

A fridge should NOT trip a GFCI.

If it does it's for the same reason anything else would: there is a leakage
path between the current carrying wires (including neutral) and "ground."

I had an old "frostless" fridge that tripped a GFCI. Turns out that
during defrost and water from the melting ice got onto the wires leading to
the quartz bulb that served as the defrost heater.

If you have an ungrounded outlet, it's not a bad idea to protect yourself
with the GFCI. But you also should uncover what's causing the trip because
whatever is causing the trip can, with an ungrounded appliance, give you an
electric shock.

Note that appliance like toasters and toaster overs would likely trip a GFCI
often. I surprised folks don't get shocked with them more often. Perhaps
they get "warning" shocks. It takes at least 10 times the current that
trips a GFCI to be a true safely hazard.

Each one has to decide on his own whether to put certain appliances on a
GFCI. Something in a kitchen that you check several times a day? Yep!

If I had a freezer in the garage I would say, NO.