Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

Default Running electric upstairs

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:07:44 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

In article ,
KLS wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:18:55 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

In my case I want the wiring concealed, so I rip apart walls if necessary. I
also know how to do drywall, so no big deal for me to rip apart a wall, run
the wiring, then replace the drywall.

Would you be so eager to rip apart walls if they were plaster and
lath?

Back on the farm, we would run all the wiring in our buildings
on the surface. You can buy stapes for romex that allows you
to route wire along 2x4's and floor joists, so I would think that
you could run wire just about anywhere that you need it. There
is a whole line of surface mount electrical components made for
places like sheds and barns that you could use in your house.
For example, they make surface mount switches and light sockets.
That shouldn't be that big of a project in a house, as long as
you run the wire where it will not get beat up or chewed on by
the dog.

This is exactly what I do in most cases, using raceway, since I really
don't want to destroy my plaster/lath walls.