Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] me@privacy.net is offline

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class action suit on this machine!

wrote:

had the same problem with my washer (same model). I wound up fixing
it myself for a couple of hundred dollars, and it's as good as new. I
was able to get a new complete drum assembly for that price, and
simply swap it. Other people have reported being able to simply
replace the bearings for about $50 or so, plus 2-3 hours of work.

More information he
http://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html

But how hard was it to replace that drum assembly by
yourself? Looks like a mess of bolts and nuts and
screws in there!

If you really want to get a new washer, the people on that forum speak
highly of the Staber washer. It's a horizontal-axis washer (like the
front loaders), but it's top-loading. It also has 2 bearings (one in
the front, and one in the back), so there would be less load on each
one.

have looked into Stabler.... might consider it