Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] robwc.2007@gmail.com is offline

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class action suit on this machine!

On Jun 25, 2:19 pm, wrote:
I bought a brand new Kenmore front loader washer in
2000. It was the model number that started with417
xxxx.

I live alone, so only do maybe one load a week, very
light usage for a washer

After 7 years of light use the main bearing of this
machine failed. The seal failed and all the internal
lube as slung out over inside of machine.

To make matters worse, the main bearing is integral to
the tub which means that one must buy a whole new tub
assembly to replace only that main bearing!

Just wondering if anyone lese has been stung with this
washer and what they've done abt it?

I had the same problem with my washer (same model). I wound up fixing
it myself for a couple of hundred dollars, and it's as good as new. I
was able to get a new complete drum assembly for that price, and
simply swap it. Other people have reported being able to simply
replace the bearings for about $50 or so, plus 2-3 hours of work.

More information he http://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html

If you really want to get a new washer, the people on that forum speak
highly of the Staber washer. It's a horizontal-axis washer (like the
front loaders), but it's top-loading. It also has 2 bearings (one in
the front, and one in the back), so there would be less load on each
one.

Good luck!

Rob