Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class action suit on this machine!

7 years for a single person to use a washer and have it break is way too
short. Was it the small Kenmore front loader? If so it was made by
Frigidaire and is not reliable. Consumer Reports publishes frequency of
repair records. You can check it out at the local library. They just rated
washers again very recently.

Another unreliable frontloader is the original Maytag neptune. We have one
and it broke once in 10 years and we considered ours reliable because we did
about 6 loads per week including heavy comforters. The reason it got a
lousy reliability rating is that early models had 3 problems.... mildew
build up inside, a bad door lock motor, and that would burn out the circuit
board. But if you called up Maytag and complained about mildew during the
first few years of ownership, they upgraded it for free and corrected all
the problems. Unfortunately, someone started a class action suit so Maytag
dug its heels in and stopped the free upgrade. We got the free upgrade and
it is a terrific machine. You can buy the current version at Lowes for
about $550. Even though Consumer Reports says it isn't reliable for the
reasons I listed, I think you will find it reliable now that they got all
the bugs out and it is certainly the cheapest large front loader that
conserves water on the market. And Lowes sells 4 year service agreements
relatively cheap if you want to be conservative. Last time I looked you
could get 4 extra years of warranty for $89.

Consumer Reports favorite machine is the large Kenmore front loader made by
whirlpool. It is called the H3 or H4 or something like that. They run
around $900.

wrote in message
"John Gilmer" wrote:

Unless you have an expensive machine (e.g.: a front loader), you just
don't
pay anything to repair 7 year old washing machines. You just get a new
one.

Ok but what would you advise replacing it with?