Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

Default Cleaning Exterior Corrosion from Copper Pipes?

On Jun 22, 8:30 am, dpb wrote:
JB wrote:
I have a copper pipe that has a good coating of green corrosion from a
slow water leak. Its about 5' so I would prefer to not struggle with
emory cloth or steel wool to get it clean. Is there a magic solution
of something that will remove it? Or do I just need to use some elbow
grease or a drill/wire brush?

Getting it clean won't solve the leak and if it has a leak removing the
patina around the fitting will probably increase the rate of the leak.

Fix the leak first, then worry about the otherwise immaterial corrosion.

--

The corrosion was due to a minor slow seepage from a 30 yr old
soldered joint. The water ran the length of the pipe for quite some

I'm not a "neatness nut" who just likes shiny copper! I'm getting
ready to put the house on the market and would prefer no flags by an
inspector due to obvious indications of a leak. A shiny pipe is
easier to explain than a badly corroded one!