Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Storm Windows on Aluminum Windows

On Jun 21, 3:17 pm, Greg Esres wrote:
All the directions I've seen for installing a storm window on an
existing window have to do with screwing the flange into a wooden
frame. My frames are aluminum and very narrow; any screw going
through the aluminum would probably interfere with the window track.
The exterior wall is brick. How would a storm window be installed in
this situation?

Thanks

You should be able to use metal screws. It's hard for me to imagine
that they are so large to interfere with install since the screws
would only need to penetrate the frame slightly. It would leave an
ugly hole in the frame when the storm is removed, a cosmetic isuue.

Better, contact the manufacturer of the window if possible. If your
window are designed for storms they will know and may have them for
sale. If you live down south this it very possible that your windows
were not made with storms in mind. Why do you feel you need storm
windows. What is the weather like in your location? Replacement
windows are not so difficut a project. Don't rule it out.