Grant Erwin

Default Old Steel - New Steel

Most steel made in this country now comes from melted-down cars, not
from mined iron ore. Such steel meets minimum specifications but you
may find anomalies like local hard spots (where a chromed ball bearing
was melted in for example). Many so-called "mild steels" today will
harden somewhat if heated and quenched strongly.

Maybe that's what he was talking about. - GWE

Jim Stewart wrote:
A couple of weeks ago at the recycling center, a
welder was unloading some 1/2" square steel bar.
I asked him if it was mild steel and he replied
"yes, old mild steel, the best" I've heard
references to "old steel" being better than "new
steel" and I've never understood what the difference
is.